Map (updated)

Map updated to reflect actual route
View Larger Map

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 5 Recap

Today is day 5 - finally caught up.

This morning I woke up, and had a decision to make. The original plan was to go to Yosemite, and camp there. I asked one of the rangers at Sequoia about the state of Yosemite, as I knew there were fires. She said there were some road closures, but the park and campsites were still open. However, she said most of the valley was smoky and might not be too pleasant. So I decided to can that part of my trip - sucks cuz I pre-paid for the campsite, but oh well. Instead, I decided to spend my morning touring the rest of Sequoia Park - actually the other half of the name of the park is Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park. So I headed up to King's Canyon. Definitely glad I did - it was a great drive down through the canyon, and I did a nice day hike down the bottom.

Was done there by noonish, and decided to head back towards San Francisco. My flight tomorrow is at 5PM up to Seattle. I figured I'd get a hotel room close to the airport - I'm at a Red Roof Inn - and maybe if I get up early enough, spend the morning in San Francisco before heading over to the airport.

So here I am. I was hoping I could wrangle an Alcatraz tour, but they're sold out for almost two weeks. So next time I'm out here, on my agenda will be Alcatraz and Yosemite.

Tomorrow I'll mention if anything interesting happens in San Fran and try to write up a little recap of the whole experience.

I put up a few photos from Sequoia Park over on Picasa, but as I said before there's a lot of work to do on photos before they're really worth anyone spending any time to look at them.

No comments: